Joining Women’s Rowing

Transitioning from high school to college was definitely not what I expected it to be. I expected to be homesick and miss my family. I can honestly say that this hasn’t been the case, at least not for extended periods of time. I’ve had my fair share of lows but being at Bryant and making new friends has combat these feelings.

In high school I was incredibly active on different sports teams. Sports were my way to stay active, stay healthy, and make friends. Coming to college I was incredibly weary of not having this aspect of my life with me anymore, but I didn’t have to worry about this anymore a few weeks into school.

One morning my roommate, Bree, had told me she was going to crew at 5am and asked me if I wanted to go. As a non-morning person I laughed, shook my head no, and told her to have fun; I would see her when she got back. She raved about how much she loved it and how she thought I would like it too. The next morning I joined her and I haven’t looked back since.

Joining the Women’s Rowing team has been one of the best decisions that I’ve made while being on Bryant’s campus. Training and competing again has been a great feeling, especially doing so on a collegiate level. I’ve always found that when “in-season” during high school, my grades were significantly better because I knew I had to get my homework done right after school in order so that I could attend practice. I also loved seeing my friends every day and bonding with the upperclassmen.

Here, it’s been incredibly similar. Although crew is a huge time commitment not only during the week, but also on the weekends, I absolutely love it. I feel incredibly lucky to have found a group of girls who I can row with and spend time with outside of practice. Everyone on our team is incredibly welcoming and I really feel that I’ve found some lifelong friends.

Before one of our races, a few of the seniors that live together in one of the townhouses invited the entire team over to have a pasta dinner at their house. To me, this was incredibly kind and I felt like we were a huge family all getting together to bond and have a good meal before a big event. Because I’ve been seeing these girls six days a week, it does feel like a small family and that’s exactly what I need when I’m feeling a bit down.   

I’m incredibly excited for the rest of the fall season and looking forward to making big waves during the spring season!

Go Bulldogs!

img_5916