There was a “Full House” at the SASS Event

With great power comes great responsibility, as they say. Event planning is hard work. There’s logistics, coordination, delegation, compromise… the list goes on. But the feeling of the event paying off is incomparable.

As I’ve mentioned before, I am the co-chair for the Student Arts and Speakers Series Committee. ¬†Our most recent event was called “‘Full House’ Actress Jodie Sweetin and Author Sara Benincasa: A Conversation About Mental Health, the Spotlight and Addiction. As the title suggests, ‘Full House’ star Jodie Sweetin ( aka Stephanie Tanner!!!) came to Bryant to speak about her struggles with addiction after the hit television show ended. Sara Benincasa (she’s amazing, look her up) also spoke openly about her struggles with mental health disorders. Together, they got vulnerable with the audience, shared their story and answered thoughtful questions that the audience asked.

img_1020

After the conversation was over, there was a Meet & Greet where 15 lucky students got to hang out with Jodie and Sara. It was so much fun to see students get so excited about meeting famous people and connecting with them in a more intimate setting than the actual event.

img_1018

Being the Co-Chair has its perks, I must say. I got to hang out with them before the event. Admittedly, I was a little starstruck. I tried to keep my cool, but when Jodie was talking about her casual interactions with A-list stars, I was in awe. Sara was so down-to-earth and offered my advice about getting a book I’m writing published. It was an opportunity I don’t expect to have again very soon.

jodie-and-sara-picture

I am so grateful I had the opportunity to plan and execute an event that was so well received by so many students. It is not an experience that every student gets to have but it is one I will never forget.

Thanks to Jodie, Sara, my wonderful Co-Chair Amreen, and the Student Programming Board!

Live in love,

Mikayla