Vote!

I was a senior in high school during the 2012 presidential election. I walked proudly into the gym, where the vote was being held, and cast my ballot. I wore the “I Voted!” sticker with pride and felt good about fulfilling my civic duty.

Now that I am a senior in college, a presidential election year is upon us (I’m sure you’ve heard!). This year, voting in the election is not as simple as driving a mile down the road to my high school. With classes and extracurricular activities, I do not have time to drive home to make sure my voice is heard in this election. Instead, I requested an absentee ballot! This process was easier than I thought and was as simple as sending some mail. I am proud to say that I voted, a privilege not everyone has.

Around campus, I have noticed different clubs promoting the importance of voting. The Bryant Field Hockey team handed out absentee ballot request forms and helped students get registered to vote. The Student Programming Board has hosted multiple political events with representatives from each party making sure students had the opportunity to make an educated decision about who they are voting for. Many students are encouraging their fellow classmates to vote. I am proud to be part of a community that wants to make a difference and it taking charge of their future!

Election Day is fast approaching. Whatever your beliefs are, they are valid and you deserve the opportunity to be heard. Make sure to get to the polls!

i-voted

Live in love,

Mikayla