A Day at the Zoo

This week, I had the opportunity to attend an informational event put on by the Roger Williams Park Zoo. The Department of Science, and even more specifically my biology teacher, encouraged the members of our class to attend!

The event sounded pretty interesting so I went and had a great time! The session was centered around the history of the Roger Williams Zoo and their conservation efforts. Learning about the zoo was incredibly interesting and I was surprised to know that the zoo is one of the oldest in the country. After hearing about the history of the zoo and the expansion efforts from the then zoo- to the now current gift shop, we learned more about the education and conservation projects specific to the zoo.

The zoo participates in many projects that look to better the global world that we now live in. I thought it was interesting to learn that all zoos are trying to make animals have healthy homes and repopulate so the next generation lives on. This zoo is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, which ensures that zoos are providing exceptional care for their animals. Only 10% of zoos are accredited by this organization, which lets the public know that the Roger Williams Zoo is a great zoo to go to and support.

The representative for the zoo then brought out three different animals: a snake, a turtle, and a ferret. Getting to hear all about the animals and the environments they live in was incredibly interesting. At the end of each animal’s presentations, we had the opportunity to pet the animals. I wasn’t incredibly keen on petting a snake, so I passed for that animal!

This was a great opportunity to participate in a fun activity that expanded my knowledge of zoos and the animal world. In college, we get so used to learning about the same subjects day in and day out, and we forget what else is out there. I’m glad I had the opportunity to learn about something that I probably would have never learned about unless I was presented an opportunity like this. I’d like to give a huge thank you to the Roger Williams Park Zoo for coming to Bryant and educating our students!
Go Bulldogs!

zoo_logo

(Picture from Roger Williams Park Zoo Website)