Once a Bulldog, always a Bulldog

Four words, “HOMECOMING and ALUMNI WEEKEND.”

This is known to be the one of the biggest weekends on Bryant’s campus. The campus is open to all and there are so many fun events to attend whether you are a student or an Alum visiting. I shall give you a few highlight of how the weekend went and if you missed it this year, maybe this will entice you to attend next year’s.

12091454_10207764536739244_984994207951687972_oPicture taken by Jaclyn Kline, Class of 2017. 

Friday:  All the Alums begin to arrive on to campus whether they graduated 10 years ago or 5 months ago. From a student’s perspective, it is great! I had the pleasure of getting to know a lot of the Senior Class my second year here at Bryant. It was really great to see so many familiar faces back on campus, especially the ones that truly helped me get through my first two years here at Bryant. I know I probably mentioned this in another blog or you’ve probably heard this about Bryant before but we really are a community on campus, A FAMILY! It does not matter if you are a freshman or a senior, you can learn so much from one another and that happens a lot here at Bryant. I learned so much from my peers that graduated last year. I learned how to be a great student leader on campus, how to be a great mentor and also how to be a great Resident Assistant, just to name a few. So as you can tell, I was very HAPPY to see them back on campus and they were very excited to be back on campus! For the older Alums, this was their chance to go down memory lane and to also see how Bryant has grown since they left. It also gives them the opportunity to reconnect with a classmates.

12113372_10207764547139504_3689943458777884060_oPicture taken by Jacyln Kilne, Class of 2017. 

One of the highlights of Friday’s events would definitely be the Big Bingo event that the Student Programming Board (SPB) puts on for both students and alumni. Each and every Bryant student looks forward to this event every year and I know what you are thinking, it’s just bingo. But trust me when I say, bingo at Bryant is not like your typical game of bingo. There is always a huge turnout for this event and the tie breakers are always the best part. I am not going to give away the best part but I definitely encourage you to come out if you get the chance so you can see what I mean. The prizes range from a variety of different things; from a flat screen tv to  Beats headphones. SPB does an amazing job at making this event a success so make sure you look out for their other events throughout the rest of the year!

The night ends with the bonfire and fireworks display. Even though it may not be 70 degrees outside, the bonfire represents everyone coming together; all Bulldogs young and old. It truly is an amazing thing to experience and to know that you are a part of something so big. A little history lesson: Bryant was founded in 1863 so that is 152 years of a legacy that we are looking at.

Saturday: The Admissions Office was super busy! Tours were going out every hour. Bryant University used to be in East Providence where Brown University now resides before the big move to Smithfield, Rhode Island. So our current campus is very new to some of the Alums and our campus continues to grow. With the new addition of our Bulldog Strength and Conditioning Building as well as the Academic Innovation Center that is in the process of being built, it’s a whole new world for these Alums. The campus tours are given by our fantastic Student Ambassadors and they do an amazing job at what they do; sharing their own personal experiences while at Bryant on their campus tours. One of the highlights of Saturday’s festivities was the football game as our Bulldogs faced Duquesne. We were triumphant as we won the game 38-17, a great way to kick of the reunion dinners for the Alums. All in all it was a magical weekend to say the least. You could agree that whether you graduated in 1995 or 2010, there is one thing that remains the same and that is your BULLDOG PRIDE! Bleed Black and Gold!