Stepping Out of Your Comfort Zone

“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”

Whether you are a student of Bryant University or not, the university that you decide to go to will truly force you to step out of your comfort zone and that it is the best thing you could ever ask for. Stepping out of your comfort zone allows you to do things that you would never imagine and meet people from different walks of life.

Reflecting back on my time at Bryant, I have accomplished a lot both personally and academically. If you told me in the beginning just a few of things that I would have accomplished up to my Junior Year, I would not believe you. I became a Student Ambassador whose role on campus entails sharing our Bryant story with prospective students and their families. We give tours around the campus and answer a variety of different questions that parents and students may have. This role requires you to instantly make conversation with a large group of people. This is just one of my many involvements on campus that has forced me out of my shell and into the student that I am today.

There are many opportunities available at Bryant that forces you out of your shelf and I encourage you to take advantage of it. Study abroad is a great chance to expand your horizons and learn about a new culture. You spend an entire semester in a different country, either with a host family or on the campus of the university that you are studying at. You learn a different language, experience new cuisines while traveling and seeing the sights. I would definitely suggest finding some more information about studying abroad and the different locations that you have to choose from.

Try a new leadership experience. The Link through Leadership Program allows you to find out a lot about yourself, things that you probably would not even think of. It sets you up to not only be a great leader on campus but also a great leader in society. Joining a new club or organization as a general member is another great way of stepping out of your comfort zone. You never know what that club has to offer you and how many great people you can meet just from attending a couple meetings. Take a class outside of your major. If you are an accounting major or a biology major, use some of your open electives to take a class that has nothing to do with your major. I did this my second year here at Bryant and it opened doors to so many different ways of viewing the world. I now look at the world with a new set of lens.

Do not be afraid to branch off, whether it is going to a new event or eating different kinds of foods that are offered in the main cafeteria, take a chance because there is a whole world of new adventures that awaits for you. You just need to take a step out of your comfort zone.

Don’t knock it till you tried it. Take advantage of every opportunity.