Student Spotlight: Dom Cauteruccio

I hope that all of you prospective students taking the time out of your days to read some of our blogs gain a better perspective of the Bryant experience through the eyes of students. To broaden that perspective, I decided to sit down with a student at Bryant who has a different major than me, who participates in different organizations than I do, and whose path to and through Bryant is much different than mine. I’ll try to do this a few times throughout each semester with different Bryant seniors so you have a great idea of how different each Bryant path is, and where their education will take them next. Here’s my conversation with Dom Cauteruccio ’16:

Dom Spotlight

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself and who you are here at Bryant:

A: I’m a rising senior from Holbrook, MA majoring in Actuarial Mathematics, concentrating in Applied Statistics, and minoring in Business Administration and Psychology. I’m part of the Honor’s Program, a member of the Actuarial Association, and on the club racquetball team here. Currently, I’m working on completing my honors thesis, which is a psychology experiment that looks at the effects of self-monitoring and social support on exercise adherence. In my free time I try to stay as active as possible, either by playing intramural sports, working out, or playing pick-up sports with friends. In high school I played baseball, so not playing in college was an adjustment for me, but I was able to find a new sport in racquetball that allowed me to continue satisfying my competitive itch.

Q: Connect the dots for us. How did you get from first learning about Bryant to eventually accepting your offer of admission from the University?

A: My college search was pretty disorganized, to say the least. Going into my senior year I basically had no idea where I wanted to go and applied to a variety of different schools. I was introduced to Bryant by my cousin, who played softball here and just graduated in 2014. She took me around campus the summer going into my senior year, so I applied but was still not sold on it. It wasn’t until the following spring, when I was nearing the deadline to choose a school that I took another look at Bryant. I went to the accepted student’s open house, loved it, and realized this was the place I wanted to be, which is weird because before that day it was not really one of my top choices. At the open house, the professors I met with and the students I interacted with were awesome and personable; it was different from anything I had experienced at other schools.

Q: What are your plans once you graduate with your degree from Bryant in May?

A: Once I graduate, it’s time for the working world. I interned as an actuary this summer and loved it, so I plan to continue that path and work towards becoming a fully credentialed actuary as soon as possible. I am very excited to say that I will begin my career at The Hanover Insurance Company, where I join their Actuarial Student Development Program upon graduation in May.

Q: If you could go back in time and tell yourself one thing when you were a senior in high school, what would that one thing be?

A: Don’t just go through the motions of learning material to pass a test; really sit down and immerse yourself in what you are studying. It will make the academics much more enjoyable.

Q: 50 years from now when you look back on your experience at Bryant, what will be the first thing that pops into your head?

A: When I look back in 50 years, I’ll remember how much fun I had, the friendships I made, and how much the school helped me grow as person.

Q: Any advice for a prospective student interested in Bryant and in the middle of the college search process?

A: Come be a Dawg for a day; go to class, have lunch, and experience what it is like to be here. Finding a school that lets you study and learn about something you’re passionate about is very important, but that’s not what’s going to make you love the school. The people you meet and the connections you make are what’s going to make the next four years successful. Find somewhere that will let you grow and discover your passion while also having fun. For me, that was Bryant and I hope it can be that for you too.

Check back here as I interview more Bryant seniors to hear about their experiences and discuss what the future holds for them post-Bryant.

Thanks for reading, and Go Dawgs.

~Max