The Final Semester and the Bryant IDEA

Welcome! I hope you enjoyed a restful, exciting, and fun-filled holiday season and winter break. While you have been back in the swing of things for the past few weeks, Bryant is just getting back to classes now. I feel like throwing up just saying this, but I have officially begun the final undergraduate semester of my Bryant career.

I, along with 35 other Bryant student leaders and another 70 faculty and staff, were back on campus a week before the rest of the Bryant community as we begun to train for the Bryant IDEA (Innovation Design Experience for All). As you may or may not know, the Bryant IDEA is a three day intensive program where first-year students are engaged in a real problem and use design thinking to prototype a solution for that problem. I was a freshman the first year that the IDEA program came to fruition, and now as a senior I have the opportunity to serve as a student mentor for one of the IDEA cohorts!

All of the first-year students are broken into cohorts of approximately 35 students with which they work with throughout the three days. Each cohort is assigned a student, faculty, staff, and alumni mentor that works to support the group throughout the three days. Over the course of the program, students are taught the design thinking process, learn about their own strengths and weaknesses, brainstorm solutions to their problem, and eventually prototype a solution that is presented in front of a panel of judges. All in three days! It’s intense.

I had an awesome experience serving as a student mentor. Bryant’s Circle of the Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society supplies the program with all of the student mentors, so it is a great chance for us to not only refresh our minds on the design thinking process, but also provides a great leadership opportunity and an avenue to mentor first-year students. It is a long three days but so much fun. Check out some pictures below!

All Mentors

All of the student mentors (in red) and members of the IDEA leadership team (in blue).

Closing Ceremony

The closing ceremony in the Chase Athletic Center.

MentorMentees

Senior IDEA student mentor Emmanuel and one team in his cohort!

Trade Show

The IDEA trade-show, where each team pitches their idea to judges who vote for the best.

I am truly looking forward the coming months to finish up my undergraduate degree from Bryant. In the coming weeks I will fill you in on what I will be up to this semester, as well as what my plans are for the future. I’ll also interview some other Bryant students throughout the semester so you can have a perspective on Bryant other than my own. Keep up the work and the fun during your last high school year, and we will talk soon!

Thanks for reading, and Go Dawgs.

~Max