A special ‘Thank You’ to those who’ve influenced me during my college years

There’s many people in our lives that we thank for the words they’ve said, the things they’ve done, and the way they’ve made us feel. Quite too often we go on with our daily lives and we don’t tell these people how much the little or big things mean to us or how they’ve touched our lives. So, I want to share with you the ‘thank yous’ that I owe to some of the people who’ve had a tremendous impact on my Bryant experience. As it comes to a close, if it weren’t for these people and the things they’ve done, I wouldn’t be as prepared to walk through the Archway as I know I am right now. 

Dr. Michael Gravier: Thank you for taking the time to attend a Bryant University open house on a beautiful Saturday in the spring of 2012. My mother and I visited the Global Supply Chain Management table and we talked about the different fields in GSCM, the classes I could take, potential internship and job opportunities, and how the Bryant GSCM program was on an upward trajectory. Since meeting you as a potential student, I declared GSCM as a freshmen, I have held three executive board positions for the Supply Chain Leadership Association which you’ve generously agreed to be our advisor for, and have had the pleasure of taking a course with you (and working extra hard for that A). I respect your advice for my future career and enjoy reading your SCM publications. Your jokes in and out of class will never get old. I admire your drive to move our program forward and increase the use of technology and collaboration in the classroom, such as the addition of the new modeling class and the SCM world case. Your experience and candor have a positive effect on me and all the SCM students and I appreciate all you’ve done for our GSCM team. None of our success would have been possible without you as part of the GSCM faculty. 

Dr. Teresa McCarthy-Byrne: I don’t think I’ve ever seen you wear the same outfit twice and when you told me you didn’t need an SCLA T-shirt, I should have known! Your charisma and passion for teaching shines in each of your lectures and I hope that I can bring that level of passion to my future career someday. You believed in this program from the start and have been influential in its growth. Without you, our first networking event wouldn’t have been as successful as it was and I know next year’s event will be even better. Even when you were on sabbatical my inbox was full of GSCM emails and I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. Thank you for the life lessons and empowering young woman like myself to believe they can set the bar high and reach goals others would describe as impossible. The stories you shared during the “Women in MBA” luncheon have inspired me in my personal and professional life. Thank you for being a role model as a successful women in business and I will continue to look up to you as I move throughout my career. 

My Senior Year Roommates: We’ve only lived together for a year but you have certainly become my best friends in college. We’ve laughed, we’ve cried, and we’ve laughed so much that we started to cry. I was so excited to go apartment hunting last week but in the back of my mind I was thinking of how my one bedroom apartment would not be the same as living in a townhouse with my best friends. I’m going to miss sitting on the floor and chatting hours into the night eating chips, guacamole, and “super sod”. I’m going to miss the unlimited outfits I can make when I have three other wardrobes to pick from. When I’m having a good day you’re always around to share my stories with and when I’m upset, you’re always ready to listen. If it wasn’t for living with you girls, my senior year would not have been the same and my Bryant experience would have felt incomplete. Thank you for loving me unconditionally and making this year the best one yet. And, thanks in advance for coming to visit me in Minnesota so we can all be under one roof again!

Ready for the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Boston, MA!

Ready for the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in Boston, MA!

These aren’t the only Bryant Bulldogs I owe well-deserved ‘thank yous’ to…

Madan Annavarjula, Dean of the College of Business, thank you for being my Bryant IDEA mentor, challenging our team to think big resulting in a great win, and, for taking the time to have lunch with me at least once a semester to stay in touch with what I’ve been up to. 

Kailin Burns, thank you for understanding when my blog posts were late or posted at the 11th hour of the night. You’re a terrific source of positive energy and someone I love being around! 

Ashley Chabot, thanks for accepting me as your freshmen year roommate. My, how times have changed in these short four years. If we could look at ourselves now compared to day one, I don’t think either of us would believe where we are today. Thanks for introducing me to Twix bars, One Tree Hill marathons, and inspiring me to live happily more than you’ll ever realize! 

Tyler Dyment, thank you for hiring me as a resident assistant my freshmen year of college. Some long nights ensued, but they were well worth it.

Hall 14 Staff: 2014-2015

Hall 14 Staff: 2014-2015

Katie McAtee, thank you for taking the chance and hiring me to work in the Office of Admissions so I could share my Bryant story with so many potential students and help build our Bryant community.  

Karen Misiaszek, thank you for making working in the Bryant Center/Fisher Student Center a rewarding experience. Even after I stopped working at the FSC, I always came to visit because you always have a fun story to share. Thanks for your words of wisdom and believing in me.

Professor Michael Roberto, thanks for making every minute of every class session valuable and being one of the best professors I’ve had at Bryant. I waited four years to take your BUS400 class and it was well worth the wait.

Business 400 Target Competition Team, thank you for being dedicated to our final case competition as students in the College of Business. We never strayed from our “in it to win it” mentality and it’s a tremendous feeling to close senior year with this big win. 

The Big Win!

The Big Win!

SCLA E-Board, thanks for absolutely killing it this year and increasing our membership to over 120 students. Thanks for taking initiative, staying positive, and setting a firm foundation for future years of SCLA success.

Current & Future SCLA E-board and other SCLA members!

Current & Future SCLA E-board!

Velocity E-Board, thanks for making putting on my dancing shoes every week something to enjoy. Dancing is one of my favorite things to do but dancing with you girls makes it even better.

E-Board ready to perform at the Boston Celtics game!

When I walk through the Archway during graduation, I’ll be walking under it knowing these people and many others had such positive influences on me during my time at Bryant. Without them, I wouldn’t be able to walk confidently in the direction I’m heading. Each little experience at Bryant has helped shape who I am as a student, young professional, and person. From the small stories these people have shared to the larger moments in my life, I am proud to be a Bulldog because of all the interactions I’ve had that have helped shaped who I am.

I end all my blogs with “keep smiling!” because life is too short to be unhappy and I’m a firm believer in making the best of every moment and every situation. So, I’ll close my final blog with this quote: “there’s always a reason to smile, you just have to find it”. I have many reasons I’ll look back at my Bryant experience and smile and I hope that all Bulldogs can look at their four years and be able to do the same thing.

~Emily M. Socha