Freshman Travels

Eight months ago I was scared out of my mind—I was leaving everything and everyone I had ever known, behind me. What I didn’t know was that I was going to be leaving an old version of myself behind as well, and that one of the biggest changes I was going to experience would be within myself. People say that college changes you, but I never knew it would change me this quickly, and that freshmen year would leave this much of an impact on me.

Freshman year was filled with lessons, both in and out of the classroom. Personally I feel like some of the more important lessons happened outside of the classroom. Everyone knows how to gain an education, but not everyone knows to apply it or how to take care of themselves in this “real world.” But by the end of this year pretty much everyone I know can say that they now know what it is like to be on their own, without their parents controlling every moment of their lives. The freedom is exhilarating but learning how to balance it all is the ultimate lesson.

Freshmen year is marked with many different memories for me. This has been my favorite year so far, I have experienced so many new things, met countless of amazing people, learned more about myself than I ever knew before, and developed into the person I know I want to be. I know I would not have made it through this year without my roommate. Having a good roommate is a blessing during the first year in college. They are the ones that are going to see you go through it all and help you along the way. I was lucky enough to be put with mine. We have been through it all together, the good, the bad, the ugly, and the hilarious. I was also lucky enough to meet the people I have and to be able to call them “my people.” At the end of the day the people who surround you are the ones that are going to help you get through all of the pressure and stresses of life—they are the ultimate key to success.

I feel like this year was just the tip of the iceberg for me. I know that I took advantage of every opportunity granted to me, while also preparing myself for what is to come within the next three years. I cannot even begin to imagine what is in store for me here at Bryant, and I cannot wait to have it unfold in front of me. But for right now, I am ready to enjoy the next few months soaking up the summer sun while patiently counting down the days until its move in day once again.

I've always been able to "lean" on my roommate.

I’ve always been able to “lean” on my roommate. Side note: it took us months to get that tapestry to stay on our wall.