Reflection of Up til Dawn

Up til Dawn is a nationwide student-led, student-run program in which college students raise funds for and awareness of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Many colleges across the country participate in this event-Bryant University being one of them. A group of about 15 Bryant Students from all years, put such a successful event together. This last Friday, November 11th, I as well as 300 students stayed awake from 11pm-5am participating in games and events in honor of St. Jude patients. Teams of 6 worked together on events such as creating posters that represented a classic movie we were given and connecting it to St. Jude. A Tic Tac Toe relay race, and my personal favorite-Doctor Says. Which for those of you who know the game “ships and sailors”, it was very similar. Before we played each game, we watched segments and clips of St. Jude patients, learning about their story, and how much St. Jude has helped them.

Staying Up until Dawn represented the families and patients that are actually staying up all hours of the night, losing sleep because they are waiting to hear back from their doctor, waiting for good news, or waiting to hear the worst. All St. Jude funds that are raised go directly to the families and the patients, covering the cost of medical bills, traveling expenses etc. Bryant University raised over $60,000.00 making us 4th in the nation for fundraising, so these parent’s don’t have to worry about whether they can afford treatment or not.

I look forward to participating in this event again, and exceeding my fundraising goals in years to come. Although it was a semi-draining 6 hours, it doesn’t nearly compare to the hours on end the parents and children face battling child-hood cancer. The videos of the children we watched reminded me just how grateful we all need to be, and how we need to live everyday to the fullest.

I stayed Up til Dawn because: Sleep can wait. Cures can’t.

img_0902