Why you should Study Abroad

¡Hola mis amigos en Estados Unidos! Yes- I am learning Spanish; I am not great, but I am getting there! And that could be something you learned too (or any language for that matter) if you study abroad!

One thing I had known before I went to college was, wherever I went, it didn’t matter just as long as they had a good study abroad program. Living in a foreign country for an extended period of time, was something I’ve known since my junior year of high school. However, that is very much not the case for many students, and I know this for a fact because some of my roommates and friends wouldn’t have even thought to travel in high school. It is a life-changing experience, however I respect that some people just simply don’t want to go.

BUT because I am loving my experience so much and I am able to talk firsthand about a great opportunity, I am going to give you a few reasons why you should study abroad,

One must travel to learn- My high school history teacher said this my junior year of high school, and I know nothing more to be true. In high school, I had visited Europe twice, and each country was better than the next. I had learned more in my two weeks traveling than I had in a classroom for a month. There is something so fascinating seeing and walking around a monument or city, than turning your page to read about it in a text book.

Self-Growth- Being in college, you experience a lot of self –growth whether it be you just learned how to do laundry for the first time, or you learned how to cook yourself dinner. But when you travel, you experience so much more self-growth and it is incredible. Especially being in a country where you don’t speak the native language well, you have to make adjustments, you have to learn a lot more about the culture, and social cues. Through this you will learn a lot about yourself and how much you are able to adjust to a brand new setting.

Stepping out of your comfort zone- We need to all get comfortable with being uncomfortable! I live by this saying. This reason goes hand in hand with self-growth. If you don’t step out of your comfort zone, you will never grow and or learn anything more. The Bryant Bubble is real, and although we may think it is big, sometimes we need to pop that bubble, and try new things, even if they scare us.

The world is a scary place right now, but seriously everywhere is scary- I mean that. You can’t not do something because you are afraid of what may happen. Something may happen everywhere. It’s normal and good to be concerned and maybe even afraid, but you can’t let it stop you from exploring the world!

The memories you will make you may never be able to experience anywhere- Literally every 4 days my friends and I are getting on a plane to go somewhere new to see new cities, and meet up with fellow friends that are also traveling. When else can you say that you visited 8 countries in 4 and a half months!

If you can and are able, I strongly recommend this experience.  “One must travel to learn.”