Alternative Spring Break Trip 2018

Hello Bulldogs! I hope everyone enjoyed their spring break and is ready to be back in the grind of second semester! We only have a few weeks left before the semester ends and I am looking forward to finishing out the semester strong. I am feeling recharged and energized as I just came back from the Alternative Spring Break trip!

I applied to go on the Alternative Spring Break (ASB) trip as I wanted to do something impactful for my Spring Break and meet more students on campus! This was a great alternative to use my time wisely.  Every year the trip goes to a different location and this year we went to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. In the past, the trip has gone to San Francisco, CA and Washington, D.C. to work with different populations of people such as the elderly and younger kids.

This year we participated in three very different activities. The first day of the trip was spent at Cribs for Kids, an organization dedicated to saving babies from sleep-related deaths. We spent the day packing different information materials and sleep supplies for the parents, newborns, and babies! It was a great way to start our trip as we had the chance to chat while doing assembly lines while giving back to the families of Pittsburgh!

The second day we worked with an organization called Little Sisters of the Poor, who serves the elderly. My group worked on a scrapbook for the organization where we caught them up on different events and in the afternoon we helped clean church pews. After a quick lunch, we had the chance to visit with some of the residents and learn more about the nursing home. The staff was incredibly friendly and the facilities were extremely nice! It felt less like a nursing home and more like quaint apartments.

The third day we had the chance to work with a Boys and Girls Club. Here we were split into groups and my group played dodgeball with the kids. It’s amazing how much energy kids have after school, so we did our best to help expend some of that!

The last two days in Pittsburgh were different because on Thursday we had a group activity where we had lunch together and went to the Heinz History Center! This was a great museum that talked about the history of the city, about the sports, and everything in between. We had lunch at the Primanti Bros, the very traditional sandwich shop of the city.

On Friday, our group had a free day in the city. I took advantage of exploring and going to learn more on this trip so I started my day at the Andy Warhol Museum followed by a short walk to Randyland, a house made of junk turned treasure, the Mattress Factory, and milkshakes at the Milkshake Factory, and then a sunset at the park. This was an awesome day because I had the chance to make new friends while exploring a new city.

This trip was the perfect way to meet new people and give back to the Pittsburgh community. I would definitely recommend this opportunity to all Bryant students as it is a great way to get out of your comfort zone and give back, even though the actions you are doing might seem small to you, can make a huge difference to the people you are serving in the long run.